We’ve been looking at possible options in terms of providing a better online experience and have decided that Jekyll + GitHub Pages is the way forward for this site.
There are a few reasons for this:
- we already had a simple static site
- we were starting to use some of the features that Jekyll + GitHub Pages provides
- it’s straightforward to make changes
- posts can be added in markdown
- changes are open to everyone
- it’s easy to push updates
- it’s free!
And that’s about it really, we’ll be looking to make some enhancements along the way as we start to figure out how we can improve.
As mentioned above, we would gladly accept any PRs for any updates that you feel the site needs. Here’s a few ideas:
- spruce up the site with some extra styles
- integrate meetup so we can pull in the events dynamically
- make a kick ass 404 page
- add jekyll-emoji support
- add some other jekyll plugin that takes your fancy
- revert all the colours to Umbraco orange
Check out the Jekyll docs for more info on how to get the most out of Jekyll.